No, no that's not what John Kerry said. To argue the US support of the rebels, he said the following about Syria:
"We do so to ... find a political settlement," he said. "Reliable civilian governance and a stronger and more effective armed opposition will better enable the opposition to be able to provide the counterweight to the initiative of Assad to reach out across borders ... to bring Iranians and to bring Hezbollah - again, a terrorist organization - to the table."
Let's review what the US Administration actions and supports:
1. Supports Shiites against Sunnis in Iraq
2. Supports Sunnis against Shiites in Syria.
3. Supports Christians against Muslims in Lebanon.
4. Supports Muslims against C opts (Christians) in Egypt.
5. Supports Christians against Muslims in Sudan/South Sudan
6. Supports Israel (Jewish) against Palestinians (Muslims and Christians)
7. Supports dictatorial regime (Morocco, Algeria, .... Saudi Arabia, etc....)
8. Supports Afghanistan's Karzai against Talibans and fights Talibans
9. Opens direct talks with Talibans in Qatar
10. Supports Sunnis against Shiites in Bahrain.
11. Supports Military regime in Egypt against democratically-elected Morsi government.
Confused? I am too.